It is unfortunate that men start shaving at a time of their life when they are not keen to ask anybody for advice or directions.
on this page
This normally results in the man starting to shave based on what is seen on movies or on television, and no real directions are followed – and this usually not only results in razor cuts and nicks, but very tender and sore skin, with accompanying shaving rash and razor burn.
Television commercials normally make shaving seem a quick and effortless exercise, which is performed without any conscious thought or preparation – but miss out on informing you of the most important factors.
In order to have a comfortable shave, your beard must be soft - and that goes for even the toughest and hardest beard.
When you shave the beard must be soft for the blade to easily and cleanly shave off the beard as close to the skin as possible – thereby ensuring a smooth shave.
If the beard is soft, you place very little strain on the skin and the hair follicle that supports the beard, but when the beard is hard when shaved, you not only irritate the skin, but also literally pull at each hair follicle when the blade cuts it.
In order to soften the beard – which is just a very rigid and thick type of hair – it must have time to absorb water, as water softens it.
Shaving foam is a great help, since it usually contains lubricant, which makes the blade glide easier, but it is water that softens the hair cuticles.
When shaving, take the time and thoroughly wash the face with lukewarm water and a mild soap – this will not only help to clean the face, but will start to soften the beard. You could use any mild type of soap. In our range you could look at our mild and effective Herbal Face Bar or Herbal Face Wash.
After washing your face, you can rinse again with clear water, and then apply your shaving foam, or failing that, you could lather-up your mild soap between your hands (or our Herbal Face Bar) and apply the foamy, soapy suds to your face, which you can then use to shave with instead of commercial shaving foam.
Make sure that your razor blade is sharp, as a blunt blade will contribute to razor burn and will also not produce a close shave.
In a poll taken by us, the type of razor blade – be that single, double or triple, did not make much difference in the incidence of skin irritation or razor burn.
It is imperative that your beard be in contact with warm water, or soapy foam suds, for decent period, in order for the hair-shaft to absorb enough water and soften.
Using this technique, you can cease to use commercial shaving foam, and men using this method normally reports far less irritation, shaving rash or razor burn, as the skin is not stressed or traumatized by a dry blade scraping against still-hard beard.
Men are normally advised to shave with the growth of the beard and not against the growth, and although this is a good rule to follow, it becomes a bit unimportant if the beard is soft enough when shaving, as no extra stress is placed on the skin or hair follicle.
When shaving against the growth, and the beard is not soft enough, it can result in not only shaving rash and razor burn, but also in ingrown hair.
Men that have very sensitive skins should also try to shave with a mild soap, as some commercial shaving foam may contain ingredients to which they may be allergic, or that may sensitize the skin.
After you have finished shaving, rinse the face with clean warm water and pat dry.
At this stage, you should use some type of moisturizing medium to not only replace lost moisture, but also to form a soothing barrier.
Using a good type of medium will also help to prevent shaving rash and razor burn after shaving, since it cools, calms and tightens the skin.
Before applying cologne, first use a moisturizing product on your freshly shaven skin, as the high alcohol content in cologne will burn and irritate a freshly shaved skin, as some dead skin is removed while shaving.
- Healing cream
- To assist in wound healing while soothing skin complaints – such as eczema and psoriasis, acne and piles and moisturizing and protecting the skin. This product has shown its effectiveness over a wide range of problems and judging from sales over more than a decade – it is the trusted healing cream to help with all mishaps, allergic reactions, irritated, burning, itchy and uncomfortable skin conditions.
- Face wash
- This face wash will properly clean your face and remove all impurities and environmental pollutants, without drying the skin. It contains eight herbal extracts to help promote a clear, vital and healthy complexion and a younger looking skin.
- Moisturizing day cream
- This day cream is formulated to help fight the signs of aging on various fronts. It helps to reduce free radical damage which, if left unchecked, leads to premature aging. The herbal extracts help to promote cell rejuvenation and regeneration and provide moisture and hydration to the skin.
- Nourishing night cream
- This nourishing night cream penetrates the skin extremely well and does not make the skin feel oily. It contains a host of herbal extracts to help in the fight against premature aging and has added vitamin E as well. Apart from the moisturizing effect and the anti-aging properties it also softens and smoothes the skin.
- Eye gel
- An effective refreshing eye gel to help reduce puffiness and dark rings around the eyes, while fighting wrinkles and lines. This is a very clever combination of herbal extracts and the base formula has its roots in a clinically proven formula.
- Mud face mask
- With this skin treatment product we combined a special selection of herbs in a base of thermal mud with oligoelements. This recommended weekly treatment will boost circulation to the skin, help to fight wrinkles and lines, improve firmness while at the same time improving suppleness and elasticity of the skin.
- Shampoo with rosemary extract + 7 other herbals
- Our shampoo is in a class of its own – and granted – it is far more expensive than cheap supermarket shampoos, but no other shampoo has the active ingredients we have in our shampoo. The rosemary will boost the health of the hair and scalp, while the other seven herbal extracts will help strengthen the hair and make it shine, increase the volume and make it manageable.
- Rosemary hair treatment conditioner
- We have found that this hair conditioner should really be used as a conditioning treatment. This then removes the need to condition the hair every time you wash – and can be used once a month. It is a superb hair tonic and helps in the control of sebum secretion of the scalp. Although not formulated for dandruff – the ingredients will assist with this as well, while supporting the health of the scalp.
- Hand and body lotion
- When formulating this hand and body lotion we created a rich nourishing, protecting and reviving lotion, which will not leave the skin oily or tacky, but will create a well moisturized, hydrated and supple skin. After applying this lotion it will quickly be absorbed by the skin, leaving it silky soft, smooth and well moisturized.
- Stretch mark gel
- Although nothing can remove already formed stretch marks (only surgery can do that) – thousands of satisfied clients confirm that this gel improves the appearance of old stretch marks. The gel will help in PREVENTING stretch marks (a 92% success rate) and is used with great success by expectant mothers and body builders who may form marks when bulking-up. The formula of this gel is based on clinical studies done in France, to which we added other herbal extracts.
- Cellulite gel
- Fighting cellulite is easy with this herbal cellulite gel. It contains a patented extract of Bayberry (Myriceline) and nine other plant extracts and essential oils. The gel will help to get rid of cellulite (which has been clinically proven) and will also help to prevent cellulite from forming. So now it is easy to get your soft body contours back again.
- Apple cider vinegar (liquid) with Centella asiatica
- The health benefits of apple cider vinegar are combined with the therapeutic properties of Centella asiatica. This old folk remedy is still used with great effect by thousands of people daily.
- Digest capsules
- If your digestive system is under-par and you struggle with constipation or you simply need to boost the health of your digestive system then this capsule is for you. Fenugreek is a general digestive tonic and psyllium is a magical bulking agent that will help proper bowel movements, without using a laxative.
- Detox capsules
- Our modern day lifestyle exposes us to many unwanted additive and our diet also places stress on the body. To help the body get rid of toxins and waste materials naturally we combined fennel, basil, celery and parsley to help the body remove these toxins. It peps-up your metabolism and helps the bladder, kidneys and liver to do their work more effectively.
- Urinary and bladder health capsules
- Using an all natural approach, our capsules will help the discomfort and burning urine sensation of urinary tract infection and help clear up foul smelling urine. We combined cranberry, dandelion, uva ursi and vitamin C in a single capsule to effectively fight bladder infections and to stop the burning sensation when urinating.
- Tri- Mushroom blend capsules
- If you need an immune system boost then have a look at our combination of maitake, reishi and shiitake mushrooms. These mushrooms have showed to be a great help in boosting the immune system – and form a good nutritional supplement support for HIV/Aids patients and people receiving chemotherapy. Any person with even a slightly compromised immune system may benefit from this supplement.
- Olive leaf extract capsules
- This natural detoxifier helps with a variety of ailments and people with chronic fatigue syndrome, infections, glandular fever (Epstein Barr), and even candida and herpes have found it of value. Olive leaf extract helps to fight bacteria, viruses, retroviruses, and protozoa and yeast strains. Apart from fighting all of these problems it also helps to improve kidney function and fights free radicals.
- Sexual supplement (previously known as Vuka Nkuzi)
- Men normally don’t admit when they have a declining libido although it is a most common problem. We combine in this supplement seven different natural ingredients to boost sexual health – without any side effects often experienced with such medication. After more than a decade, and thousands of regular Vuka Nkuzi clients we still offer this well priced supplement to boost the libido.
- Jojoba oil
- This liquid golden ester not only moisturizes and penetrates the skin but also helps to fight wrinkles and lines while promoting a clear and unblemished skin. Jojoba does not clog the pores but helps to restore skin elasticity and smoothness. It will leave the skin supple and velvety soft without any oiliness and can be used neat on the skin.
- Lavender oil
- This is the most popular essential oil and with good reason. Lavender oil is a superb product to use on burns, insect bites, sunburn, wounds and other skin complaints and irritations. Lavender oil is one of the few essential oils that can be used neat (not diluted) on the skin, and is great to help with regeneration and rejuvenation of skin cells. Emotionally it has a calming and soothing effect and is an exceptionally pleasant smelling oil.
- Tea tree oil
- Once used, you will always have a bottle of tea tree essential oil handy. It deals effectively with bacteria, fungi and viruses. Our oil surpasses the “Australian Standard” by having less than 15% 1,8 cineole and more than 30% of Terpinen-4-ol. This powerful essential oil is effective in various ways to fight infections and skin problems.
- Almond oil
- This light and deeply moisturizing oil has a softening effect on the skin and can be used on the face and body. Almond oil has excellent emollient properties and helps to balance water and moisture loss in the skin. It can be used neat on the skin and also makes an excellent massage base.