We include Extensin® in our hair conditioner treatment for dry weak hair to add to the luster, shine as well as body and bounce of your hair. The introduction of vegetal proteins in cosmetic treatments has been promoted during the last few years, in order to replace the more commonly used animal proteins (such as elastin, collagen, keratin and reticulum). To read more about our herbal hair conditioner treatment for dry and weak hair please click here.
on this page
Their good moisturizing and film forming qualities for hair and skin, mainly make them suitable in treatment products for weak and dry hair and for dry skin treatments.
It helps to strengthen hair and also helps to add luster, shine, body and
bounce to even the driest limpest hair. They are also an interesting source of peptides and amino acids for the skin. We use Extensin Vegetal Protein in our Herbal Hair Treatment Conditioner.
However, from a chemical point of view, old type plant proteins did not resemble human skin proteins and for this reason, their use as regenerative products and against skin ageing was not completely effective.
The amino acid composition of the old plant proteins differed a lot from human skin proteins, mainly the collagen and elastin. Concretely, animal or human collagen has approximately 10% hydroxy-proline in its molecule, which makes it a unique protein in the animal kingdom.
However, there is now a plant protein that has hydroxy-proline in it – making it almost the same as that of human collagen and also has several structural similarities – this protein is called Extensin – manufactured by PROVITAL in Barcelona, Spain.
Another important point to note in Extensin’s chemical structure is that it contains amino acids. It is unusually rich in serine (about 16%) and this amino acid plays an important role in the structure of the skin’s natural moisturizing factor. Its high saccharide content is an important promoter of its moisturizing action.
For these reasons, Extensin is effective in all applications where collagen is traditionally used, and even provides better moisturizing. This means that it can be used in nutritive creams; skin regeneration treatments for aged and wrinkled skins, as well as premium hair care products.
PROVITAL has developed an exclusive procedure for the extraction of Extensin contained in carrot cellular walls. Extensin thus obtained is presented as a transparent solution, containing approximately 10% of pure hydrolyzed protein.
The efficacy of Extensin has been clinically proven in various test to which they subjected the compound.
Extensin was discovered at the beginning of the sixties. More exactly in 1960, Derek T. A. Lamport published a work in “Nature” proving that hydroxy-proline was the main component of the vegetal primary cell walls. At the same time, Dougall and Shimbayaishi also published a work to this effect.
The fact that this wall protein was so rich in hydroxy-proline, an amino acid which normally does not appear in proteins, but almost exclusively in animal collagen, made Lamport compare it initially to the structure and functionality of animal collagen and elastin, relating it to the cellular growth, and so it was called Extensin. However later data have modified this idea about the Extensin functionality in plant cells, although its exact role has not been determined, there are several opinions regarding this that will be commented on later.
Concerning the possible role of Extensin in the vegetal cell, Lamport advanced the theory that Extensin participated in the process to stop cell wall growth by forming covalent bonds with cellulose fibers of the wall and preventing it from enlarging. He observed a significant increment of the production and accumulation of Extensin when the elongation of the stem of several species stopped.
However, though different works of some investigators later presented new data confirming this hypothesis, a more recent work published contradicts this line of work, by proving that under specific environmental conditions, such relation between cells growth and Extensin gathering did not occur.
Another growing hypothesis presents Extensin as a reply of the vegetal tissue to external aggressions and several factors confirm it: a glycoprotein of very similar structure to Extensin is synthesized in a potato tuber as a reply to infectious "Cucumis melo L." and accumulates a great amount of Extensin in its tissues when contaminated by this fungal infection.
Finally, all the vegetal systems used for the Extensin study are based on histological cuts, i.e. aggressed tissues. These cuts motivate a reply, different physiological and metabolic changes in the tissue. Among these we could find an increment in Extensin production.
Extensin function in plant metabolism is not clear. Neither is the system of Extensin union to other macromolecules of the cell wall, since contradictory results have been obtained according to the kind of plant studied.
Thus, in some species, the difficulty to extract Extensin from the isolated and purified cell walls seems to indicate that covalent bonds occur. Anyway, in the Cyanophyceae and other species studied such extraction is made without great difficulty and it seems that there are no covalent attachments between Extensin and the rest of macromolecules. Should such linkages exist, it has not been determined in which part of the molecule this occurs, though probably it may be by means of the Extensin glycoside chains.
When studying the structural differences between an animal cell and a vegetable cell, there are two absolutely basic and determining factors in the differences between the animal and vegetable kingdoms: the capacity of the vegetal cell to fix CO2 by photosynthesis and the existence in vegetal of a rigid cell wall, formed by extra-cellular matrix closely attached to the external surface of the plasmatic membrane.
An animal cell also has some elements of extra-cellular matrix at its surface, forming what is called "glycocalyx", but in the vegetal cell such wrapping is thicker and more resistant, organized and rigid.
During the growing period, the cellular walls of the vegetal cells are thinner and less rigid than those of developed cells, enabling the elongation and growth of the cellular size; they are called "primary cell walls". When the cell is completely developed, the thickness of the wall increases with some new layers, forming the "secondary cell wall".
The rigidity of the cellular wall is motivated by its chemical composition. Long cellulose fibers, highly resistant, compose it, linked by a matrix of polysaccharides and protein. The polysaccharides of this matrix are basically hemicelluloses and pectines attached by ionic and covalent bonds.
Cellulose is a linear molecule composed of several thousands of D-glucose units attached by linkages b(1-4). For this reasons the chain has a flat form, like a ribbon. This structure is stabilized intra-molecularly by means of hydrogen bonds. Intermolecular hydrogen bonds are also formed and this way there are groups of parallel cellulose molecules (usually between 60 and 70) extremely ordered, which are called cellulose micro-fibrils (fig.1).
- Healing cream
- To assist in wound healing while soothing skin complaints – such as eczema and psoriasis, acne and piles and moisturizing and protecting the skin. This product has shown its effectiveness over a wide range of problems and judging from sales over more than a decade – it is the trusted healing cream to help with all mishaps, allergic reactions, irritated, burning, itchy and uncomfortable skin conditions.
- Face wash
- This face wash will properly clean your face and remove all impurities and environmental pollutants, without drying the skin. It contains eight herbal extracts to help promote a clear, vital and healthy complexion and a younger looking skin.
- Moisturizing day cream
- This day cream is formulated to help fight the signs of aging on various fronts. It helps to reduce free radical damage which, if left unchecked, leads to premature aging. The herbal extracts help to promote cell rejuvenation and regeneration and provide moisture and hydration to the skin.
- Nourishing night cream
- This nourishing night cream penetrates the skin extremely well and does not make the skin feel oily. It contains a host of herbal extracts to help in the fight against premature aging and has added vitamin E as well. Apart from the moisturizing effect and the anti-aging properties it also softens and smoothes the skin.
- Eye gel
- An effective refreshing eye gel to help reduce puffiness and dark rings around the eyes, while fighting wrinkles and lines. This is a very clever combination of herbal extracts and the base formula has its roots in a clinically proven formula.
- Mud face mask
- With this skin treatment product we combined a special selection of herbs in a base of thermal mud with oligoelements. This recommended weekly treatment will boost circulation to the skin, help to fight wrinkles and lines, improve firmness while at the same time improving suppleness and elasticity of the skin.
- After shave balm
- This effective balm helps to relieve an irritated skin caused by shaving. Not only is it a soothing balm, but the herbal extracts actively work to increase hydration and moisturize the skin to help fight the signs of premature aging – and all of this done in one simple no-fuss balm.
- Shampoo with rosemary extract + 7 other herbals
- Our shampoo is in a class of its own – and granted – it is far more expensive than cheap supermarket shampoos, but no other shampoo has the active ingredients we have in our shampoo. The rosemary will boost the health of the hair and scalp, while the other seven herbal extracts will help strengthen the hair and make it shine, increase the volume and make it manageable.
- Rosemary hair treatment conditioner
- We have found that this hair conditioner should really be used as a conditioning treatment. This then removes the need to condition the hair every time you wash – and can be used once a month. It is a superb hair tonic and helps in the control of sebum secretion of the scalp. Although not formulated for dandruff – the ingredients will assist with this as well, while supporting the health of the scalp.
- Hand and body lotion
- When formulating this hand and body lotion we created a rich nourishing, protecting and reviving lotion, which will not leave the skin oily or tacky, but will create a well moisturized, hydrated and supple skin. After applying this lotion it will quickly be absorbed by the skin, leaving it silky soft, smooth and well moisturized.
- Stretch mark gel
- Although nothing can remove already formed stretch marks (only surgery can do that) – thousands of satisfied clients confirm that this gel improves the appearance of old stretch marks. The gel will help in PREVENTING stretch marks (a 92% success rate) and is used with great success by expectant mothers and body builders who may form marks when bulking-up. The formula of this gel is based on clinical studies done in France, to which we added other herbal extracts.
- Cellulite gel
- Fighting cellulite is easy with this herbal cellulite gel. It contains a patented extract of Bayberry (Myriceline) and nine other plant extracts and essential oils. The gel will help to get rid of cellulite (which has been clinically proven) and will also help to prevent cellulite from forming. So now it is easy to get your soft body contours back again.
- Apple cider vinegar (liquid) with Centella asiatica
- The health benefits of apple cider vinegar are combined with the therapeutic properties of Centella asiatica. This old folk remedy is still used with great effect by thousands of people daily.
- Apricot kernel capsules
- Our capsules contain natural apricot kernels combined with Resveratrol, Selenium, Grape Seed Extract, MSM, Vitamin C and Bioperine and offers a safe and non-toxic of supplementing with apricot kernels.
- Digest capsules
- If your digestive system is under-par and you struggle with constipation or you simply need to boost the health of your digestive system then this capsule is for you. Fenugreek is a general digestive tonic and psyllium is a magical bulking agent that will help proper bowel movements, without using a laxative.
- Detox capsules
- Our modern day lifestyle exposes us to many unwanted additive and our diet also places stress on the body. To help the body get rid of toxins and waste materials naturally we combined fennel, basil, celery and parsley to help the body remove these toxins. It peps-up your metabolism and helps the bladder, kidneys and liver to do their work more effectively.
- Urinary and bladder health capsules
- Using an all natural approach, our capsules will help the discomfort and burning urine sensation of urinary tract infection and help clear up foul smelling urine. We combined cranberry, dandelion, uva ursi and vitamin C in a single capsule to effectively fight bladder infections and to stop the burning sensation when urinating.
- Tri- Mushroom blend capsules
- If you need an immune system boost then have a look at our combination of maitake, reishi and shiitake mushrooms. These mushrooms have showed to be a great help in boosting the immune system – and form a good nutritional supplement support for HIV/Aids patients and people receiving chemotherapy. Any person with even a slightly compromised immune system may benefit from this supplement.
- Hoodia slimming capsules
- Many companies offer hoodia capsules – but most of the time these supplements do not contain the real thing. We use CERTIFIED hoodia in our capsules and is combined with chromium to make it more effective to help lose weight. P57 is the active ingredient in hoodia and some people find it an effective appetite suppressant – without any side effects.
- Olive leaf extract capsules
- This natural detoxifier helps with a variety of ailments and people with chronic fatigue syndrome, infections, glandular fever (Epstein Barr), and even candida and herpes have found it of value. Olive leaf extract helps to fight bacteria, viruses, retroviruses, and protozoa and yeast strains. Apart from fighting all of these problems it also helps to improve kidney function and fights free radicals.
- Sexual supplement (previously known as Vuka Nkuzi)
- Men normally don’t admit when they have a declining libido although it is a most common problem. We combine in this supplement seven different natural ingredients to boost sexual health – without any side effects often experienced with such medication. After more than a decade, and thousands of regular Vuka Nkuzi clients we still offer this well priced supplement to boost the libido.
- Jojoba oil
- This liquid golden ester not only moisturizes and penetrates the skin but also helps to fight wrinkles and lines while promoting a clear and unblemished skin. Jojoba does not clog the pores but helps to restore skin elasticity and smoothness. It will leave the skin supple and velvety soft without any oiliness and can be used neat on the skin.
- Lavender oil
- This is the most popular essential oil and with good reason. Lavender oil is a superb product to use on burns, insect bites, sunburn, wounds and other skin complaints and irritations. Lavender oil is one of the few essential oils that can be used neat (not diluted) on the skin, and is great to help with regeneration and rejuvenation of skin cells. Emotionally it has a calming and soothing effect and is an exceptionally pleasant smelling oil.
- Tea tree oil
- Once used, you will always have a bottle of tea tree essential oil handy. It deals effectively with bacteria, fungi and viruses. Our oil surpasses the “Australian Standard” by having less than 15% 1,8 cineole and more than 30% of Terpinen-4-ol. This powerful essential oil is effective in various ways to fight infections and skin problems.
- Almond oil
- This light and deeply moisturizing oil has a softening effect on the skin and can be used on the face and body. Almond oil has excellent emollient properties and helps to balance water and moisture loss in the skin. It can be used neat on the skin and also makes an excellent massage base.