There are many factors and causes of dark circles under the eyes and on this
page we will try and look at some of these causes and ways to remedy the
on this page
The skin around your eye area is the thinnest and most fragile skin found on
the entire body, and must always be treated with the utmost of care.
People suffering from a thyroid problem (also referred to as a goiter) normally have very protruding eyes - if you have any qualms about your thyroid not functioning effectively, or if you have any symptoms of an over - or under active thyroid please check the amount of iodine you consume, and consult your doctor immediately.
As we age, the fragile skin around our eye start to lose its elasticity, and the lymphatic drainage system, which helps to keep the area voided of excess fluids, loses it proper functioning. Our Herbal Eye Gel is especially formulated to assist with this lymphatic drainage and to remove excess fluid from the area.
Nutrition can also play a part and although our product will assist in re-vitalizing the collagen and elastin in the skin around the eyes, you do need vitamin C in your body in order for collagen to be formed.
In the absence of vitamin C, the body cannot produce collagen. The RDA (Recommended Daily Allowance) of 60 mg of vitamin C per day it will not achieve much, nor will it assist in enhancing and furthering the quality of your skin – this amount is only enough to prevent beriberi (scurvy).
To assist in collagen formation and re-vitalizing your fragile skin around the eyes - please consider taking an extra vitamin C (ascorbic acid) supplement, after checking with your medical practitioner.
When taking a vitamin C supplement, look at one that contains bioflavonoids (vitamin P) as well, as these bioflavonoids boosts the efficacy with which the vitamin will perform its work.
Plain tiredness will add to the problem. Check the amount of hours you sleep and also take note of the amount of hours you work in front of a computer terminal or watch television – both these activities can cause strain.
Eye drops will relieve irritation and a bloodshot look, but will do little to soothe tired eyes.
Some people believe in using sliced figs or thin slices of cucumber to freshen and relieve tiredness, but be careful – many people have allergic reactions to both figs and cucumbers when used on the skin.
Rather try the following refreshing treatment
- Treatment 1
- Take two medium size pieces of cotton wool (cotton wool eye pads) and soak them in rose water (an inexpensive product that you can buy at the pharmacy / chemist / drug store), then place the pads over your closed eyelids, while lying down.
- If doing this during the day, close your drapes/curtains. If doing this at night, switch off your lights. Doing this in the dark really gives you a relaxing break. Lie back and listen to relaxing music. Relax for at least 20 – 30 minutes – or 10 minutes if you want to fit this into a tea break.
- Treatment 2
- Another soothing way to relieve the tiredness, is to take two teabags, place in a cup and pour boiling water over them. Remove the bags with a spoon after the tealeaves start giving off their color, and place them in a saucer. Cover the teabags with plastic kitchen wrap, to prevent them drying out, and place in your refrigerator to cool down.
- After they have cooled down, (but not too cold, apply them when too cold can cause damage) remove from the fridge and place on your closed eyelids, and relax as described above.
Eye exercises may also be of great benefit to the general health of your eyes, but first check with your optometrist or eye specialist before starting such a program.
Sit, relax and while breathing normally but deeply, look at a spot between your eyes, above the bridge of your nose. Keep looking at this spot for a count of five, and then relax the eyes. Next look at the tip of your nose, also to the count of five and then relax.
After doing these two exercises try the following:
- Exercise 1
- Relax and look straight in front of you. While inhaling, look right as far as possible, without turning your head. When exhaling, return the eyes to the front position. Relax and when inhaling again look left as far as possible without turning your head, and when exhaling return your eyes to the front again. Repeat three times.
- Exercise 2
- The last exercise is done as follows: sit up straight and look down. While inhaling, slowly roll your eyes to the right and then to the top, in a circular movement. When your eyes have reached the top, look towards your eyebrows and start exhaling, while moving your eyes left and downwards in a circular movement. Repeat three times.
- This exercise can also be done by cupping your palms over your eyes to block out the light – but take care that the inside of your palm does not touch your eyes or eyelashes.
These exercises must be done slowly and with concentration, but before starting them, please check with your health practitioner if they would be suitable for you.
Fluid retention can be a major cause of this problem, and here you will have to consider your general health and any other underlying medical conditions.
Diuretic pills (to remove excess water from your body) can be helpful, but some people do have unwanted side effects from them.
Vitamin C is a natural diuretic and an increase in this vitamin will not only assist in removing excess water from your body, but will also assist with collagen formation as discussed above.
If you are ingesting a lot of salt, either directly or indirectly, it could add to your problem with water retention. Try and cut down on eating raw salt, and check food labels as well, as processed food can contain large amounts of salt – check for "sodium" on the label.
Although orthodox medicine does not always believe in the benefits of going on a detoxifying diet, the effect of such a cleansing diet not only boosts your general health, but also help sort out the question of causes of dark circles under eyes. The reason for this is that some natural healers ascribe this problem to a toxic build-up in your system.
You might not smoke yourself, but even secondary smoke can aggravate this problem and most people will have a violent reaction to smoke, such as the eyes turning bloodshot or watery, while others will manifest their allergy in swelling.
If smokers surround you, try and introduce as much fresh air as possible, and if you yourself smoke, take extra vitamin C, as smoking destroy a large amount of this vitamin, every time you light up.
It seems that allergies are becoming more and more prevalent, which may be due to our un-healthy, stressed filled lives, surrounded by chemicals additives and preservatives, as well as environmental pollutants contributing to the increase of allergies.
With so many stressors or triggers around, the body simply cannot cope with the large amount of allergens and gives up the fight, with the resultant allergic conditions.
But be this as it may – your eye problem may be indicative of some allergen that you are either surrounded by, or are ingesting. You may not have a major medical reaction to an allergen, such as wheezing, coughing, sneezing or a closed chest - you could simple have a slightly stuffy nose most of the times.
Tests can be done to determine environmental or food allergies with a simple skin patch test, a blood test or more alternative types of testing, such as a muscle resistant test or a heart pulse test.
If you have any of these tests done, and they come up positive for any item that you could avoid as far as possible, go the extra mile and try to cut the allergen out of your sphere of living – be that either environmental or type of foodstuff.
Environmental allergies are sometimes difficult to fight – if you suffer from a dust mite allergy for instance, you will have to ensure that your house is virtually dust proof, and that all drapes, mattresses, carpets and all other soft furnishings are treated with a mite and dust controlling solution, and that air conditioning filters are kept spotlessly clean.
If you are allergic to seasonal items, such as pollen, you could ask your medical practitioner for assistance during that time, with an allergy-fighting drug of some sort – but be careful of medication containing cortisone – as this ingredient may cause more problems than what it solves.
And once again, look at vitamin C to assist in fighting allergies – this humble little food supplement can help alleviate the symptoms to a great degree. And remember to look for the added bioflavonoids.
When selecting cosmetics or skin care products – be extra careful to choose a range that will not cause an allergic reaction, and formulated with this in mind - as our Herbal Eye Gel has been.
If you apply facial cream incorrectly, it may cause your eyes to be puffy and swollen – especially in the morning. Make sure the creams are not applied to the center corner (near your nose) of your eyes, as the cream could impact and obstruct a tear duct, which will cause swelling of the eye.
Our herbal eye gel will not cause such a reaction.
If you find that your eyes are more swollen in the morning, have a look at maybe increasing the height of your pillows, by adding another cushion when going to bed. The raising of your head could assist with draining excess fluids.
Facial massage can be most beneficial, but it must be done correctly.
First clean your face well and then use a very light textured oil (like our almond oil) or cream as massage medium, to prevent stretching or stressing the skin.
You might want to look at almond oil, since it has great emollient properties, without being heavy and greasy. Another oil that you may want to consider is jojoba oil.
You can also massage with plain aqueous cream, since it is very economical and is also great to work with.
When doing facial massage, please keep your touch SOFT and do not stretch the skin – it must be done gently. If you have long hair, tie it away from your face before doing any facial massage to prevent the oil or cream getting into your hair.
When you are finished doing the massage, remove the oil from your eyes by gently washing the area with a very gentle cleanser, or remove the excess oil by blotting it away with a tissue.
- Massage 1
- Place the ring finger (because it is not too strong) of each hand into the inner corners of each eye and press down gently to the count of three seconds, relax and then slide the fingers gently underneath your eyes towards your temples.
- When reaching the temples, gently massage in a circular movement. Slide your fingers back to the inner corners of your eyes again and repeat seven times.
- Massage 2
- Place the tip of your right hand middle finger gently where your nose starts and slide it up to the tip of your nose and back 10 times. Then, by using the fingertips of both the middle fingers, gently press towards your face on the point where your cheek and nostrils meet. Release the pressure, and with small circular movements, softly massage all the way up to your temple, following the bone structure under your eyes – taking about 10 seconds to do so.
- Massage your temples for 5 seconds and then slide your fingers, going back the same way, to the starting point and repeat the exercise 5 times.
We have been selling our effective Herbal Eye Gel on the web for
years, and thousands of people have found great benefit from it.
It is an affordable product and for a couple of dollars you can experience the benefits of this unique herbal gel to
soothe your eyes, which has proven to be super effective and is helpful in achieving that youthful look around your eye area.
Don't delay - click here - and order today.
- Healing cream
- To assist in wound healing while soothing skin complaints – such as eczema and psoriasis, acne and piles and moisturizing and protecting the skin. This product has shown its effectiveness over a wide range of problems and judging from sales over more than a decade – it is the trusted healing cream to help with all mishaps, allergic reactions, irritated, burning, itchy and uncomfortable skin conditions.
- Face wash
- This face wash will properly clean your face and remove all impurities and environmental pollutants, without drying the skin. It contains eight herbal extracts to help promote a clear, vital and healthy complexion and a younger looking skin.
- Moisturizing day cream
- This day cream is formulated to help fight the signs of aging on various fronts. It helps to reduce free radical damage which, if left unchecked, leads to premature aging. The herbal extracts help to promote cell rejuvenation and regeneration and provide moisture and hydration to the skin.
- Nourishing night cream
- This nourishing night cream penetrates the skin extremely well and does not make the skin feel oily. It contains a host of herbal extracts to help in the fight against premature aging and has added vitamin E as well. Apart from the moisturizing effect and the anti-aging properties it also softens and smoothes the skin.
- Eye gel
- An effective refreshing eye gel to help reduce puffiness and dark rings around the eyes, while fighting wrinkles and lines. This is a very clever combination of herbal extracts and the base formula has its roots in a clinically proven formula.
- Mud face mask
- With this skin treatment product we combined a special selection of herbs in a base of thermal mud with oligoelements. This recommended weekly treatment will boost circulation to the skin, help to fight wrinkles and lines, improve firmness while at the same time improving suppleness and elasticity of the skin.
- Shampoo with rosemary extract + 7 other herbals
- Our shampoo is in a class of its own – and granted – it is far more expensive than cheap supermarket shampoos, but no other shampoo has the active ingredients we have in our shampoo. The rosemary will boost the health of the hair and scalp, while the other seven herbal extracts will help strengthen the hair and make it shine, increase the volume and make it manageable.
- Rosemary hair treatment conditioner
- We have found that this hair conditioner should really be used as a conditioning treatment. This then removes the need to condition the hair every time you wash – and can be used once a month. It is a superb hair tonic and helps in the control of sebum secretion of the scalp. Although not formulated for dandruff – the ingredients will assist with this as well, while supporting the health of the scalp.
- Hand and body lotion
- When formulating this hand and body lotion we created a rich nourishing, protecting and reviving lotion, which will not leave the skin oily or tacky, but will create a well moisturized, hydrated and supple skin. After applying this lotion it will quickly be absorbed by the skin, leaving it silky soft, smooth and well moisturized.
- Stretch mark gel
- Although nothing can remove already formed stretch marks (only surgery can do that) – thousands of satisfied clients confirm that this gel improves the appearance of old stretch marks. The gel will help in PREVENTING stretch marks (a 92% success rate) and is used with great success by expectant mothers and body builders who may form marks when bulking-up. The formula of this gel is based on clinical studies done in France, to which we added other herbal extracts.
- Cellulite gel
- Fighting cellulite is easy with this herbal cellulite gel. It contains a patented extract of Bayberry (Myriceline) and nine other plant extracts and essential oils. The gel will help to get rid of cellulite (which has been clinically proven) and will also help to prevent cellulite from forming. So now it is easy to get your soft body contours back again.
- Apple cider vinegar (liquid) with Centella asiatica
- The health benefits of apple cider vinegar are combined with the therapeutic properties of Centella asiatica. This old folk remedy is still used with great effect by thousands of people daily.
- Digest capsules
- If your digestive system is under-par and you struggle with constipation or you simply need to boost the health of your digestive system then this capsule is for you. Fenugreek is a general digestive tonic and psyllium is a magical bulking agent that will help proper bowel movements, without using a laxative.
- Detox capsules
- Our modern day lifestyle exposes us to many unwanted additive and our diet also places stress on the body. To help the body get rid of toxins and waste materials naturally we combined fennel, basil, celery and parsley to help the body remove these toxins. It peps-up your metabolism and helps the bladder, kidneys and liver to do their work more effectively.
- Urinary and bladder health capsules
- Using an all natural approach, our capsules will help the discomfort and burning urine sensation of urinary tract infection and help clear up foul smelling urine. We combined cranberry, dandelion, uva ursi and vitamin C in a single capsule to effectively fight bladder infections and to stop the burning sensation when urinating.
- Tri- Mushroom blend capsules
- If you need an immune system boost then have a look at our combination of maitake, reishi and shiitake mushrooms. These mushrooms have showed to be a great help in boosting the immune system – and form a good nutritional supplement support for HIV/Aids patients and people receiving chemotherapy. Any person with even a slightly compromised immune system may benefit from this supplement.
- Olive leaf extract capsules
- This natural detoxifier helps with a variety of ailments and people with chronic fatigue syndrome, infections, glandular fever (Epstein Barr), and even candida and herpes have found it of value. Olive leaf extract helps to fight bacteria, viruses, retroviruses, and protozoa and yeast strains. Apart from fighting all of these problems it also helps to improve kidney function and fights free radicals.
- Sexual supplement (previously known as Vuka Nkuzi)
- Men normally don’t admit when they have a declining libido although it is a most common problem. We combine in this supplement seven different natural ingredients to boost sexual health – without any side effects often experienced with such medication. After more than a decade, and thousands of regular Vuka Nkuzi clients we still offer this well priced supplement to boost the libido.
- Jojoba oil
- This liquid golden ester not only moisturizes and penetrates the skin but also helps to fight wrinkles and lines while promoting a clear and unblemished skin. Jojoba does not clog the pores but helps to restore skin elasticity and smoothness. It will leave the skin supple and velvety soft without any oiliness and can be used neat on the skin.
- Lavender oil
- This is the most popular essential oil and with good reason. Lavender oil is a superb product to use on burns, insect bites, sunburn, wounds and other skin complaints and irritations. Lavender oil is one of the few essential oils that can be used neat (not diluted) on the skin, and is great to help with regeneration and rejuvenation of skin cells. Emotionally it has a calming and soothing effect and is an exceptionally pleasant smelling oil.
- Tea tree oil
- Once used, you will always have a bottle of tea tree essential oil handy. It deals effectively with bacteria, fungi and viruses. Our oil surpasses the “Australian Standard” by having less than 15% 1,8 cineole and more than 30% of Terpinen-4-ol. This powerful essential oil is effective in various ways to fight infections and skin problems.
- Almond oil
- This light and deeply moisturizing oil has a softening effect on the skin and can be used on the face and body. Almond oil has excellent emollient properties and helps to balance water and moisture loss in the skin. It can be used neat on the skin and also makes an excellent massage base.