If you are one of the unlucky ones that suffer from bags under your eyes, then it will be worth your while to read this article. This articles was written on inspiration of one of our clients, whom we will call Catherine, who had a complaint about her eyes being baggy, aging her and making her feeling self-conscious. She found great help from our eye gel, but still requested information on why it happens and what else could be done about it. We have tried to discuss all relevant factors that may cause this problem, and hope you find it useful.
on this page
Firstly, please note that this page is for general information, and people with a medical condition should consult their doctor. No information on this page must be seen as an attempt by us to diagnose or treat any disorder whatsoever.
Get this article via e-mail
Should you rather have this page's information mailed to you, simply click here and lets send you the information by e-mail. Please note - you must send the request from the e-mail address that you wish to receive it on, as this is an automated process and it will automatically send it out to the address from which the mail originated.
Our herbal eye treatment gel has been used with great success by thousands of people wishing to minimize their baggy eyes and black rings under their eyes - and at this very reasonable price, you can not get a better product. To have a look at our herbal Eye Gel please click here.
Baggy eyes are a problem experienced by many people and is an extremely aging character trait to have.
The same goes for dark black rings under a person’s eye – not only is it unattractive, but also gives an impression of ill health and general tiredness.
Some medical people do not take bags under eyes as a problem seriously, since it is seldom a life-threatening situation – but for the person living with this, it is no joke.
Most people, out of desperation will look at the surgical removal of baggy eyes, but this procedure is either unacceptable to most people, or because of the costs involved, out of the financial reach of most people, since medical aids classify this as cosmetic surgery.
Although our herbal product is most effective in helping with the treatment, remedy and cure of bags under your eyes and black rings under them, it does have limitations, since other factors could be causing it, which has to be looked at as well to effect a remedy of the problem.
We must firstly keep in mind that the skin around your eye area is the most fragile in the entire body, and for this reason, it must be treated with the utmost care and when using any product on it, the product must comply with certain criteria such as being:
made from the purest and best quality ingredients,
must be active enough to help re-vitalize the connective tissue in this area to help the production of new elastin and collagen for a smooth un-marked skin.
People suffering from a thyroid problem (also referred to as a goiter) normally have very baggy eyes - if you have any qualms about your thyroid not functioning effectively, or if you have any symptoms of an over - or under active thyroid please consult your doctor immediately.
As we age the fragile skin around our eyes start to lose its elasticity, and here we can look at nutrition to assist us in our fight against aging, as poor nutrition contribute to aging as well.
Although a product like our eye gel will assist in re-vitalizing the collagen and elastin in the skin around the eyes, you do need vitamin C in your system in order for collagen to be formed.
In the absence of vitamin C in the body, collagen CANNOT be synthesized. To only take in 60 mg of vitamin C per day - the recommended daily allowance (RDA) - will NOT achieve much – it will only prevent beriberi.
To assist in collagen formation and re-vitalizing your fragile skin around the eyes - please consider taking an extra vitamin C (ascorbic acid) supplement, after checking with your medical practitioner.
When taking a vitamin C supplement, look at one that contains bioflavonoids (vitamin P) as well, as these bioflavonoids add to the potency with which the vitamin will perform its work.
Plain tiredness will also add to the problem of bags under your eyes, and especially to those ugly dark circles under the eyes.
Have a look at the amount of hours you sleep and also check on the amount of hours you work in front of a computer terminal or watch television – both these actions place a tremendous strain on your eyes.
Eye drops will relieve the blood shot look of your eyeball, but will do little to
soothe the tired eyes as such.
Some people recommend a daily supplement of grape seed oil to help relieve eyestrain, as some people do find relieve by adding this anti-oxidant to their diet.
To relieve strain, look at having a regular soothing treatment, which can easily, and inexpensively, be done at home.
Some people believe in placing sliced figs or slices of cucumber on their eyes – and although it does work, it may cause an allergic reaction in some individuals.
If you are looking at an alternative treatment to freshen your eyes, try the following:
- Take two pieces of cotton wool, large enough to cover your eyes, and soak it in rose water (an inexpensive product that you can buy at the pharmacy / chemist / drug store) and place it over your closed eyelids while lying down. If doing it during the day close your drapes / curtains and if doing it at night switch off your lights. I found that doing it in the dark really gives your eyes a relaxing break for both your eyes and your stressed out body. Switch off your television during this period of rest, and rather listen to your favorite soothing music. Relax your for at least 20 – 30 minutes.
- Another soothing way to relieve the tiredness is to take two teabags, place in a cup, and pour boiling water over it. Remove the bags with a spoon after the tealeaves starts giving off their color, and place it in a saucer. Cover the teabags with plastic kitchen wrap, to prevent it drying out, and place in your refrigerator to cool down. After it has cooled down, (but not too cold, as too cold could damage your eyes) remove from the fridge and place on your closed eyelids, as described above.
Eye exercises may also be of great benefit to the general health of your eyes, but first check with your optometrist or eye specialist before starting such a program.
- Sit relax and while breathing normally but deeply, and look at a spot between your eyes, above the bridge of your nose. Keep looking at this spot for a count of five, and then relax the eyes. Next look at the tip of your nose, also to the count of five and relax.
After doing these two exercises try the following:
- Relax and look straight in front of you. While inhaling look right as far as possible, without turning your head, and when exhaling, return the eyes to the front position. Relax and when inhaling again look left as far as possible without turning your head, and when exhaling return your eyes to the front again. Repeat three times.
- The last exercise would be done by sitting up straight and looking down, and while inhaling to slowly roll your eyes to the right and then to the top, in a circular movement. When your eyes have reached the top, looking towards your eyebrows, start exhaling while moving your eyes left and downwards in a circular movement. Repeat three times. This exercise can also be done by cupping your palms over your eyes to block out the light – but take care that the inside of your palm does not touch your eyes or eyelashes.
These exercises must be done slowly and with concentration, but before starting them, please check with your health practitioner is they would be suitable for you.
Fluid retention can be a major cause of swollen eyes, and here you will have to look at your general health and any other underlying medical condition. Diuretic pills (to remove excess water from your body) can be helpful, but many people do have side effects from them.
Vitamin C is a natural diuretic and an increase in this vitamin will not only assist in removing excess water from your body, but will also assist with collagen formation as discussed above. I am sorry to keep harping on the importance of vitamin C, but in my book it is one of the most amazing and underrated vitamins around, which can have a great effect on your general well being.
If you are ingesting a lot of salt, either directly or indirectly, it could add to your problem with water retention. Try and cut down on eating raw salt, and check food labels as well, as processed food can contain large amounts of salt – check for sodium on the label.
Although orthodox medicine does not always belief in the benefits of going on a detoxifying diet, I have personally witnessed the effect such a cleansing diet can have on the general health of a person, and particularly on black rings / circles under the eyes.
It would be best to check with your medical professional before going on such a diet, but a break in your normal diet pattern, and giving your body a bit of a break, could do you the world of good.
Some natural healers do belief that black rings under the eyes and bags under your eyes are indicative of a toxic build-up in the body – and although some people might not agree with this belief, a cleansing diet as such, now and again, is not a bad idea.
You might not smoke yourself, but even secondary smoke can affect the way your eyes look. Most people will have a violent reaction to smoke, such as the eyes turning bloodshot or watery, while others will manifest their allergy as swollen eyes.
If smokers surround you, try and introduce as much fresh air as possible, and if you yourself smoke, take (you guessed it!) extra vitamin C, as smoking kills off large amount of this vitamin, every time you light up.
It seems that allergies are becoming more and more prevalent – and although some medical people might not agree, our un-healthy, stressed filled lives, surrounded by chemicals additives and preservatives, and environmental pollutants may be contributing factors to the increase of allergies.
The reason for this statement is the fact that with so many stressors or triggers around, the body simply cannot cope with the large amount of gunk, and give up the fight, with resultant allergic conditions.
But be it as it may – your swollen eyes might be indicative of some allergen that you are either surrounded by, or are ingesting.
You might not have a major medical reaction to an allergen, such as wheezing, couching, sneezing or a closed chest - you could simple have a slightly stuffy nose, or swollen eyes most of the times.
Tests can be done to determine environmental or food allergies with a simple skin scratch test, a blood test or more alternative types of testing such as a muscle resistant test or a heart pulse test.
If you have any of the tests done, and they come up positive for any item that you could avoid as far as possible, go the extra mile and try to cut the allergen out of your sphere of living – be that either environmental or food in origin.
Environmental allergies are sometimes difficult to fight – if you suffer from a dust mite allergy for instance, you will have to ensure that your house if virtually dust proof, and that all drapes, mattresses, carpets and all other soft furnishings are treated with a mite and dust controlling solution, and that air conditioning filters are kept spotlessly clean.
If you are allergic for seasonal items, such as pollen, you could ask your medical practitioner for assistance during that time, with an allergy-fighting drug of some sort – but be careful of such medication containing cortisone – as this ingredient may cause more problems than what it solves.
And once again, look at vitamin C to assist in fighting allergies – this humble little food supplement can help alleviate the symptoms to a great degree. And remember to look for the added bioflavonoids.
When selecting cosmetics or skin care products – be extra careful to choose a range that will not cause an allergic reaction, and that has been formulated with this in mind. Our gel has been specially formulated with this in mind and also contains herbs to
soothe some allergies.
If you apply eye cream, or any facial cream incorrectly, it may cause your eyes to be puffy and swollen – especially in the morning.
Make sure the creams are not applied to the center corner (near your nose) of your eyes, as the cream could impact and obstruct a tear duct, which will cause swelling of the eye.
Our herbal eye gel will not cause such a reaction.
If you find that your eyes are more swollen in the morning, have a look at maybe increasing height of your pillows, by adding another cushion when going to bed. The raising of your head could assist with draining excess fluids as well.
Facial massage, and specially massage treatment around your eyes can assist in draining of fluids around your eyes.
Although massage can be most beneficial – it must be done correctly, with concentration and not be rushed through.
First clean your face well and then use a very light textured oil or cream as massage medium to prevent stretching or stressing this fragile skin.
You might want to look at almond oil, since this oil is wonderfully emollient, without being heavy and greasy. Another oil that you might consider is jojoba oil, but because of the high cost of pure jojoba oil, it might work out a bit expensive.
You could also look at massaging with plain aqueous cream, since it is very economical and is also great to work with.
When doing facial massage, please keep your touch SOFT and do not stretch the skin – it must be done gently.
If you have long hair, tie it away from your face before doing any facial massage to prevent the oil or cream getting into your hair.
When you are finished doing the massage, remove the oil from your eyes by gently washing the area with a very gentle cleanser, or remove the excess oil by blotting it with a tissue. Make sure to remove excess oil or cream from the corners of your eyes, otherwise, as stated above, you might land up with eyes that are even more baggy or swollen.
- Massage # 1
- Place the ring finger (because it is not too strong) of each hand into the inner corners of each eye (#1 on the sketch) and press down gently to the count of three seconds, relax and then slide the fingers gently underneath your eyes towards your temples (# 8 on the sketch). When reaching the temples, gently massage in a circular movement. Slide your fingers back gently to the inner corners of your eyes again and repeat seven times.
- Massage # 2
- Place the tip of your right hand middle finger gently where your nose starts (point # 2) and slide it up and down to the tip of your nose (point # 3) and back 10 times. Then, by using the fingertips of both the middle fingers, gently press towards your face on the point on your cheek and nostrils meet (point # 4). Release the pressure, and with small circular movements, softly massage all the way up to your temple, following the bone structure under your eyes – taking about 10 seconds to do so. Massage your temples for 5 seconds and then slide your fingers, going back the same way, back to the starting point and repeat the exercise 5 times.
We have been selling our effective herbal eye on the web for more than eight years now, and thousands of people have found great benefit from it.
For a couple of dollars you can experience the benefits of this unique herbal gel to
soothe your eyes, which has proven to be super effective and is helpful in achieving that youthful look around your eye are.
To order our very effective herbal Eye Gel please click here.
- Healing cream
- To assist in wound healing while soothing skin complaints – such as eczema and psoriasis, acne and piles and moisturizing and protecting the skin. This product has shown its effectiveness over a wide range of problems and judging from sales over more than a decade – it is the trusted healing cream to help with all mishaps, allergic reactions, irritated, burning, itchy and uncomfortable skin conditions.
- Face wash
- This face wash will properly clean your face and remove all impurities and environmental pollutants, without drying the skin. It contains eight herbal extracts to help promote a clear, vital and healthy complexion and a younger looking skin.
- Moisturizing day cream
- This day cream is formulated to help fight the signs of aging on various fronts. It helps to reduce free radical damage which, if left unchecked, leads to premature aging. The herbal extracts help to promote cell rejuvenation and regeneration and provide moisture and hydration to the skin.
- Nourishing night cream
- This nourishing night cream penetrates the skin extremely well and does not make the skin feel oily. It contains a host of herbal extracts to help in the fight against premature aging and has added vitamin E as well. Apart from the moisturizing effect and the anti-aging properties it also softens and smoothes the skin.
- Eye gel
- An effective refreshing eye gel to help reduce puffiness and dark rings around the eyes, while fighting wrinkles and lines. This is a very clever combination of herbal extracts and the base formula has its roots in a clinically proven formula.
- Mud face mask
- With this skin treatment product we combined a special selection of herbs in a base of thermal mud with oligoelements. This recommended weekly treatment will boost circulation to the skin, help to fight wrinkles and lines, improve firmness while at the same time improving suppleness and elasticity of the skin.
- After shave balm
- This effective balm helps to relieve an irritated skin caused by shaving. Not only is it a soothing balm, but the herbal extracts actively work to increase hydration and moisturize the skin to help fight the signs of premature aging – and all of this done in one simple no-fuss balm.
- Shampoo with rosemary extract + 7 other herbals
- Our shampoo is in a class of its own – and granted – it is far more expensive than cheap supermarket shampoos, but no other shampoo has the active ingredients we have in our shampoo. The rosemary will boost the health of the hair and scalp, while the other seven herbal extracts will help strengthen the hair and make it shine, increase the volume and make it manageable.
- Rosemary hair treatment conditioner
- We have found that this hair conditioner should really be used as a conditioning treatment. This then removes the need to condition the hair every time you wash – and can be used once a month. It is a superb hair tonic and helps in the control of sebum secretion of the scalp. Although not formulated for dandruff – the ingredients will assist with this as well, while supporting the health of the scalp.
- Hand and body lotion
- When formulating this hand and body lotion we created a rich nourishing, protecting and reviving lotion, which will not leave the skin oily or tacky, but will create a well moisturized, hydrated and supple skin. After applying this lotion it will quickly be absorbed by the skin, leaving it silky soft, smooth and well moisturized.
- Stretch mark gel
- Although nothing can remove already formed stretch marks (only surgery can do that) – thousands of satisfied clients confirm that this gel improves the appearance of old stretch marks. The gel will help in PREVENTING stretch marks (a 92% success rate) and is used with great success by expectant mothers and body builders who may form marks when bulking-up. The formula of this gel is based on clinical studies done in France, to which we added other herbal extracts.
- Cellulite gel
- Fighting cellulite is easy with this herbal cellulite gel. It contains a patented extract of Bayberry (Myriceline) and nine other plant extracts and essential oils. The gel will help to get rid of cellulite (which has been clinically proven) and will also help to prevent cellulite from forming. So now it is easy to get your soft body contours back again.
- Apple cider vinegar (liquid) with Centella asiatica
- The health benefits of apple cider vinegar are combined with the therapeutic properties of Centella asiatica. This old folk remedy is still used with great effect by thousands of people daily.
- Apricot kernel capsules
- Our capsules contain natural apricot kernels combined with Resveratrol, Selenium, Grape Seed Extract, MSM, Vitamin C and Bioperine and offers a safe and non-toxic of supplementing with apricot kernels.
- Digest capsules
- If your digestive system is under-par and you struggle with constipation or you simply need to boost the health of your digestive system then this capsule is for you. Fenugreek is a general digestive tonic and psyllium is a magical bulking agent that will help proper bowel movements, without using a laxative.
- Detox capsules
- Our modern day lifestyle exposes us to many unwanted additive and our diet also places stress on the body. To help the body get rid of toxins and waste materials naturally we combined fennel, basil, celery and parsley to help the body remove these toxins. It peps-up your metabolism and helps the bladder, kidneys and liver to do their work more effectively.
- Urinary and bladder health capsules
- Using an all natural approach, our capsules will help the discomfort and burning urine sensation of urinary tract infection and help clear up foul smelling urine. We combined cranberry, dandelion, uva ursi and vitamin C in a single capsule to effectively fight bladder infections and to stop the burning sensation when urinating.
- Tri- Mushroom blend capsules
- If you need an immune system boost then have a look at our combination of maitake, reishi and shiitake mushrooms. These mushrooms have showed to be a great help in boosting the immune system – and form a good nutritional supplement support for HIV/Aids patients and people receiving chemotherapy. Any person with even a slightly compromised immune system may benefit from this supplement.
- Hoodia slimming capsules
- Many companies offer hoodia capsules – but most of the time these supplements do not contain the real thing. We use CERTIFIED hoodia in our capsules and is combined with chromium to make it more effective to help lose weight. P57 is the active ingredient in hoodia and some people find it an effective appetite suppressant – without any side effects.
- Olive leaf extract capsules
- This natural detoxifier helps with a variety of ailments and people with chronic fatigue syndrome, infections, glandular fever (Epstein Barr), and even candida and herpes have found it of value. Olive leaf extract helps to fight bacteria, viruses, retroviruses, and protozoa and yeast strains. Apart from fighting all of these problems it also helps to improve kidney function and fights free radicals.
- Sexual supplement (previously known as Vuka Nkuzi)
- Men normally don’t admit when they have a declining libido although it is a most common problem. We combine in this supplement seven different natural ingredients to boost sexual health – without any side effects often experienced with such medication. After more than a decade, and thousands of regular Vuka Nkuzi clients we still offer this well priced supplement to boost the libido.
- Jojoba oil
- This liquid golden ester not only moisturizes and penetrates the skin but also helps to fight wrinkles and lines while promoting a clear and unblemished skin. Jojoba does not clog the pores but helps to restore skin elasticity and smoothness. It will leave the skin supple and velvety soft without any oiliness and can be used neat on the skin.
- Lavender oil
- This is the most popular essential oil and with good reason. Lavender oil is a superb product to use on burns, insect bites, sunburn, wounds and other skin complaints and irritations. Lavender oil is one of the few essential oils that can be used neat (not diluted) on the skin, and is great to help with regeneration and rejuvenation of skin cells. Emotionally it has a calming and soothing effect and is an exceptionally pleasant smelling oil.
- Tea tree oil
- Once used, you will always have a bottle of tea tree essential oil handy. It deals effectively with bacteria, fungi and viruses. Our oil surpasses the “Australian Standard” by having less than 15% 1,8 cineole and more than 30% of Terpinen-4-ol. This powerful essential oil is effective in various ways to fight infections and skin problems.
- Almond oil
- This light and deeply moisturizing oil has a softening effect on the skin and can be used on the face and body. Almond oil has excellent emollient properties and helps to balance water and moisture loss in the skin. It can be used neat on the skin and also makes an excellent massage base.