This is a fairly new botanical ingredient used in the West – but has proven of great value, particularly in skin care products. It offers a host of benefits – including the ability to help
fight acne, since it looks after the inflammation,
discomfort and appearance of the
There are various well-documented benefits for using Dragon's blood in
skin care preparations, and it is for this reason why Dragon's
blood has been included as one of the active ingredients of our sister’s company –
Dermaxime’s Problem Skin Range.
It should be kept in mind that a problem, or acne-riddled skin is in a state of inflammation - and to
heal the skin a person needs to look at sorting out the
The therapeutic properties of dragon's blood includes the following:
- anti-hemorrhagic (reduce bleeding)
- neurasthenic (reduce nerve pain)
- wound healing
- analgesic (pain-reliever)
From the above it must be clear why this natural "wonder" ingredient has been included in
acne fighting and problem skin products, as it has wonderfully anti-inflammatory qualities and has been proven to stimulate human skin fibroblast which in turns help
to heal the skin.
It also has a protective action on the skin and coupled to the wonderful anti-bacterial properties make it a natural to be included in a
product to fight acne.
Not withstanding the anti-bacterial effect on the skin, it also exhibits powerful
Apart from all these very positive qualities, Dragon's blood also has very good anti-oxidant properties, which also help to protect the
DNA in the skin cell, which protects the skin from genetic alteration.
It also has a protective effect on the skin as it protects the skin from oxidative free radicals.
Another problem experienced by people suffering from problem or acne skin is
the discomfort, pain and itching of the skin on a continual basis - and here dragon's blood helps to
relieve the pain, itching, swelling and discomfort of the
This blood red sap harvested from the Croton lechleri tree has a very long history of use in traditional medicine in the Amazonian area.
The Indian and Mestizo population have always used dragon's
blood to treat wounds, which accelerates the healing
The first written reference to dragon's blood dates back to 1600's, when the Spanish naturalist P. Bernabé Cobo wrote about the
curative power of the sap.
The sap was painted on wounds to staunch
bleeding, to accelerate healing, and to seal and protect injuries from
infection. As the sap dries, it forms a barrier - much like a "second
It is used by indigenous people to externally treat
wounds, hemorrhoids and fractures.
Internally, it is used for stomach ulcers, as well as a douche for vaginal problems and
Furthermore, it is used for fevers and inflamed gums, vaginal baths - before and after childbirth, as well as hemorrhaging after childbirth - but most importantly to us - for
We use dragon's blood from a sustainable source - the trees are not felled for the sap, but the sap is harvested without harming the trees.
The active ingredient that most people focus on in Dragon's blood is the
Taspine contained in the sap. It in actual fact also contains a host of other ingredients, with Taspine actually being one of the minor ingredients.
An interesting point to note is that one of the other ingredients, SP-303 is under clinical investigation for its use in
herpes lesions and a patent has been filed for this particular compound.
The list of compounds found in dragon's blood is rather impressive and includes the following:
- crolechinic acid
- hardwickiic acid
- korberin A & B
Dragon's blood is the latex (tears), which form when the bark of the Croton lechleri tree (family:
Euphorbiaceae) is cut. This dark sap is collected and is then marketed under the name
Croton lechleri is a large tree that grows about 10 - 20 m high and is found in the upper Amazon region of Peru, Ecuador, and Colombia.
It is a fairly thin tree with the trunk normally less than 30 cm in diameter. The bark is smooth and mottled colored and the leaves are large, heart-shaped and bright green. Greenish-white flowers are borne on long stalks.
The Peruvian name of this tree is "sangre de grado" literally meaning "blood of the
dragon" and in Ecuador it is called "sangre de
drago" - which has the same meaning.
Although Dragon's Blood is not a herb, but a botanical product we trust that our readers enjoyed reading about this very obscure ingredient.
- Jones K., Review of sangre de drago (Croton lechleri)--a South American tree sap in the treatment of diarrhea, inflammation, insect bites, viral infections, and wounds: traditional uses to clinical research. J Altern Complement Med. 2003 Dec;9(6):877-96.
- Rossi D, Bruni R, Bianchi N, Chiarabelli C, Gambari R, Medici A, Lista A, Paganetto G.,Evaluation of the mutagenic, antimutagenic and antiproliferative potential of Croton lechleri (Muell. Arg.) latex., Phytomedicine. 2003 Mar;10(2-3):139-44
- Williams JE., Review of antiviral and immunomodulating properties of plants of the Peruvian rainforest with a particular emphasis on Una de Gato and Sangre de Grado. Altern Med Rev. 2001 Dec;6(6):567-79.
- Desmarchelier C, Witting Schaus F, Coussio J, Cicca G., Effects of Sangre de Drago from Croton lechleri Muell.-Arg. on the production of active oxygen radicals., J Ethnopharmacol. 1997 Oct;58(2):103-8.
- Phillipson JD., A matter of some sensitivity., Phyto-chemistry. 1995 Apr;38(6):1319-43.
- Chen ZP, Cai Y, Phillipson JD., Studies on the anti-tumour, anti-bacterial, and wound-healing properties of dragon's blood., Planta Med. 1994 Dec;60(6):541-5.
- Pieters L, de Bruyne T, Claeys M, Vlietinck A, Calomme M, vanden Berghe D., Isolation of a dihydrobenzofuran lignan from South American dragon's blood (Croton spp.) as an inhibitor of cell proliferation. J Nat Prod. 1993 Jun;56(6):899-906.
- Vaisberg AJ, Milla M, Planas MC, Cordova JL, de Agusti ER, Ferreyra R, Mustiga MC, Carlin L, Hammond GB. Taspine is the cicatrizant principle in Sangre de Grado extracted from Croton lechleri. Planta Med. 1989 Apr;55(2):140-3.
- Perdue GP, Blomster RN, Blake DA, Farnsworth NR., South American plants II: taspine isolation and anti-inflammatory activity., J Pharm Sci. 1979 Jan;68(1):124-6.
- Healing cream
- To assist in wound healing while soothing skin complaints – such as eczema and psoriasis, acne and piles and moisturizing and protecting the skin. This product has shown its effectiveness over a wide range of problems and judging from sales over more than a decade – it is the trusted healing cream to help with all mishaps, allergic reactions, irritated, burning, itchy and uncomfortable skin conditions.
- Face wash
- This face wash will properly clean your face and remove all impurities and environmental pollutants, without drying the skin. It contains eight herbal extracts to help promote a clear, vital and healthy complexion and a younger looking skin.
- Moisturizing day cream
- This day cream is formulated to help fight the signs of aging on various fronts. It helps to reduce free radical damage which, if left unchecked, leads to premature aging. The herbal extracts help to promote cell rejuvenation and regeneration and provide moisture and hydration to the skin.
- Nourishing night cream
- This nourishing night cream penetrates the skin extremely well and does not make the skin feel oily. It contains a host of herbal extracts to help in the fight against premature aging and has added vitamin E as well. Apart from the moisturizing effect and the anti-aging properties it also softens and smoothes the skin.
- Eye gel
- An effective refreshing eye gel to help reduce puffiness and dark rings around the eyes, while fighting wrinkles and lines. This is a very clever combination of herbal extracts and the base formula has its roots in a clinically proven formula.
- Mud face mask
- With this skin treatment product we combined a special selection of herbs in a base of thermal mud with oligoelements. This recommended weekly treatment will boost circulation to the skin, help to fight wrinkles and lines, improve firmness while at the same time improving suppleness and elasticity of the skin.
- After shave balm
- This effective balm helps to relieve an irritated skin caused by shaving. Not only is it a soothing balm, but the herbal extracts actively work to increase hydration and moisturize the skin to help fight the signs of premature aging – and all of this done in one simple no-fuss balm.
- Shampoo with rosemary extract + 7 other herbals
- Our shampoo is in a class of its own – and granted – it is far more expensive than cheap supermarket shampoos, but no other shampoo has the active ingredients we have in our shampoo. The rosemary will boost the health of the hair and scalp, while the other seven herbal extracts will help strengthen the hair and make it shine, increase the volume and make it manageable.
- Rosemary hair treatment conditioner
- We have found that this hair conditioner should really be used as a conditioning treatment. This then removes the need to condition the hair every time you wash – and can be used once a month. It is a superb hair tonic and helps in the control of sebum secretion of the scalp. Although not formulated for dandruff – the ingredients will assist with this as well, while supporting the health of the scalp.
- Hand and body lotion
- When formulating this hand and body lotion we created a rich nourishing, protecting and reviving lotion, which will not leave the skin oily or tacky, but will create a well moisturized, hydrated and supple skin. After applying this lotion it will quickly be absorbed by the skin, leaving it silky soft, smooth and well moisturized.
- Stretch mark gel
- Although nothing can remove already formed stretch marks (only surgery can do that) – thousands of satisfied clients confirm that this gel improves the appearance of old stretch marks. The gel will help in PREVENTING stretch marks (a 92% success rate) and is used with great success by expectant mothers and body builders who may form marks when bulking-up. The formula of this gel is based on clinical studies done in France, to which we added other herbal extracts.
- Cellulite gel
- Fighting cellulite is easy with this herbal cellulite gel. It contains a patented extract of Bayberry (Myriceline) and nine other plant extracts and essential oils. The gel will help to get rid of cellulite (which has been clinically proven) and will also help to prevent cellulite from forming. So now it is easy to get your soft body contours back again.
- Apple cider vinegar (liquid) with Centella asiatica
- The health benefits of apple cider vinegar are combined with the therapeutic properties of Centella asiatica. This old folk remedy is still used with great effect by thousands of people daily.
- Apricot kernel capsules
- Our capsules contain natural apricot kernels combined with Resveratrol, Selenium, Grape Seed Extract, MSM, Vitamin C and Bioperine and offers a safe and non-toxic of supplementing with apricot kernels.
- Digest capsules
- If your digestive system is under-par and you struggle with constipation or you simply need to boost the health of your digestive system then this capsule is for you. Fenugreek is a general digestive tonic and psyllium is a magical bulking agent that will help proper bowel movements, without using a laxative.
- Detox capsules
- Our modern day lifestyle exposes us to many unwanted additive and our diet also places stress on the body. To help the body get rid of toxins and waste materials naturally we combined fennel, basil, celery and parsley to help the body remove these toxins. It peps-up your metabolism and helps the bladder, kidneys and liver to do their work more effectively.
- Urinary and bladder health capsules
- Using an all natural approach, our capsules will help the discomfort and burning urine sensation of urinary tract infection and help clear up foul smelling urine. We combined cranberry, dandelion, uva ursi and vitamin C in a single capsule to effectively fight bladder infections and to stop the burning sensation when urinating.
- Tri- Mushroom blend capsules
- If you need an immune system boost then have a look at our combination of maitake, reishi and shiitake mushrooms. These mushrooms have showed to be a great help in boosting the immune system – and form a good nutritional supplement support for HIV/Aids patients and people receiving chemotherapy. Any person with even a slightly compromised immune system may benefit from this supplement.
- Hoodia slimming capsules
- Many companies offer hoodia capsules – but most of the time these supplements do not contain the real thing. We use CERTIFIED hoodia in our capsules and is combined with chromium to make it more effective to help lose weight. P57 is the active ingredient in hoodia and some people find it an effective appetite suppressant – without any side effects.
- Olive leaf extract capsules
- This natural detoxifier helps with a variety of ailments and people with chronic fatigue syndrome, infections, glandular fever (Epstein Barr), and even candida and herpes have found it of value. Olive leaf extract helps to fight bacteria, viruses, retroviruses, and protozoa and yeast strains. Apart from fighting all of these problems it also helps to improve kidney function and fights free radicals.
- Sexual supplement (previously known as Vuka Nkuzi)
- Men normally don’t admit when they have a declining libido although it is a most common problem. We combine in this supplement seven different natural ingredients to boost sexual health – without any side effects often experienced with such medication. After more than a decade, and thousands of regular Vuka Nkuzi clients we still offer this well priced supplement to boost the libido.
- Jojoba oil
- This liquid golden ester not only moisturizes and penetrates the skin but also helps to fight wrinkles and lines while promoting a clear and unblemished skin. Jojoba does not clog the pores but helps to restore skin elasticity and smoothness. It will leave the skin supple and velvety soft without any oiliness and can be used neat on the skin.
- Lavender oil
- This is the most popular essential oil and with good reason. Lavender oil is a superb product to use on burns, insect bites, sunburn, wounds and other skin complaints and irritations. Lavender oil is one of the few essential oils that can be used neat (not diluted) on the skin, and is great to help with regeneration and rejuvenation of skin cells. Emotionally it has a calming and soothing effect and is an exceptionally pleasant smelling oil.
- Tea tree oil
- Once used, you will always have a bottle of tea tree essential oil handy. It deals effectively with bacteria, fungi and viruses. Our oil surpasses the “Australian Standard” by having less than 15% 1,8 cineole and more than 30% of Terpinen-4-ol. This powerful essential oil is effective in various ways to fight infections and skin problems.
- Almond oil
- This light and deeply moisturizing oil has a softening effect on the skin and can be used on the face and body. Almond oil has excellent emollient properties and helps to balance water and moisture loss in the skin. It can be used neat on the skin and also makes an excellent massage base.