March 2004 Ageless herbal newsletter
The Jojoba plant originated in the Sonoran Desert and is presently grown in the southwestern areas of the United States. It is a slow growing plant and takes 12 - 14 years to mature, but has a life span of over 100 years. The
bean from this plant is less than two centimeters in length and weighs one gram.
From this bean, a golden, odorless, non-allergic liquid wax is produced that is known as Jojoba Oil. Jojoba Oil's structure imparts qualities and properties that are difficult to match.
In reality jojoba oil is not an oil but a liquid
wax, and is pronounced "ho-ho-ba", and only became important in the 1970's when whaling was banned, since jojoba oil has almost the same properties as the oil obtained from the
This shrub was first noted in 1882 by the British botanist H F Link, when landing at Baja California in Northern Mexico.
Since it is composed of wax esters, it is an extremely stable substance and does not easily deteriorate or become rancid. These wax esters are long-chained monohydroxyl alcohols, which differ from fats in that esters are long-chained fatty acids with glycerine.
The structure of jojoba oil closely resembles that of your own
skin sebum, is an excellent moisturizer and is ideal for all skin types without promoting acne or any other skin problems.
It is suspected that jojoba oil "tricks" the skin into stopping the
over-production of sebum through somehow mimicking sebum and also assist in breaking down sebum in plugged-up pores. Sebum and jojoba oil mix readily without "sealing off" the skin pores.
In short, a person could say that jojoba oil helps to balance the sebum in the skin - assisting by
moisturizing dry skin, while helping to contain the over abundance of oil in others.
When used as a massage medium, it acts as an emulsifier with the skin's natural sebum and gently
unclogs the pores and lifts grime and imbedded impurities.
It contains myristic acid which also has anti-inflammatory actions. Since it is similar in composition to the skin's own oils, it is
quickly absorbed and is excellent for dry and mature
skins, as well as inflamed conditions.
It can in most cases be used on acne skin without any problems as it helps to control acne.
It also has antioxidant properties - so the oil does not become rancid and can prevent rancidity in other oils. It can be used pure in massage, or can be mixed with other carrier oils and may be added to your bath as a bath oil.
It is better to mix jojoba with another oil when using it in massage, as jojoba is absorbed too quickly and does not give enough "slip" in massaging - another good oil to combine it with is either grape seed oil or
Jojoba oil controls transpiration water loss (water and moisture loss through skin) and helps to
control flaking and dryness of the skin, thereby also helping to
As a result jojoba oil and sebum will form a non-greasy, non-tacky layer with exceptional trans-epidermal water control.
In dermatological test done, using jojoba oil, by Christensen and Packman, it was shown that jojoba oil increases the skin's suppleness by 45% and after 8 hours the effect was still present.
It was also found that jojoba oil softens and smoothes the skin with
fine line reduction. In one test 20 women's skin "compliance" increased with 37% after 30 minutes and remained for an hour.
Jojoba oil also has great anti-bacterial properties. Professor Zille of Port Elizabeth University carried out studies on the anti-bacterial effects of jojoba oil and the results were presented at a Coskem Congress held at Mintek.
Tests at Michigan University showed that five of the most common skin bacteria plus certain
skin fungi couldn't survive in jojoba
So, from the above it is easy to see why Jojoba oil was kept a beauty secret by some ancient civilizations, and the Inca's were also supposed to use Jojoba oil extensively for the health of their hair, massaging it into the scalp to promote healthy thick hair.
With the stress filled and run-away lifestyles that most of us live, we need to look not only at eating a balanced diet, but also at
supplementing our diet, should we feel that life is getting too taxing. This can be done with a high-potency
Thiamin may enhance circulation, helps with blood formation and the metabolism of carbohydrates. It is also required for the health of the
nervous system and is used in the biosynthesis of a number of cell constituents, including the neurotransmitter acetylcholine and gamma-aminobutyric acid (GABA). It is used in the manufacture of hydrochloric acid, and therefore plays a part in digestion.
It is required by the body to use oxygen and the metabolism of amino acids, fatty acids, and carbohydrates. Riboflavin is further needed to activate vitamin B6 (pyridoxine), helps to create niacin and assists the
adrenal gland. It may be used for red blood cell formation, antibody production, cell respiration, and
Vitamin B3 is required for cell respiration, helps in the release of energy and
metabolism of carbohydrates, fats, proteins, proper circulation and healthy skin, functioning of the nervous system, and normal secretion of bile and stomach fluids. It is used in the synthesis of
sex hormones, treating schizophrenia and other mental
illnesses, and is a memory-enhancer.
Vitamin B5 plays an important role in the secretion of
hormones, such as cortisone, because of the role it plays in supporting the adrenal gland. These hormones assist the metabolism, help to fight allergies and are beneficial in the maintenance of
healthy skin, muscles and nerves.
Pyridoxine is required for the balancing of hormonal changes in women, as well as assisting the
immune system and the growth of new
cells. It is also used in the processing and metabolism of proteins, fats and carbohydrates, while assisting with controlling your mood as well as your behavior. Pyridoxine might also be of benefit for children with
learning difficulties, as well as assisting in the prevention of
dandruff, eczema and psoriasis.
Folic acid is required for DNA synthesis and cell growth and is important for red blood cell formation,
energy production as well as the forming of amino
acids. Folic acid is essential for creating heme, the iron containing substance in
hemoglobin, crucial for oxygen transport.
Cobolamin is needed in the manufacture and maintenance of red blood
cells and it
stimulates appetite, promotes growth and
releases energy. It is often used with older people to give an energy boost, assist in preventing mental deterioration and helps with speeding up thought processes. Some people are also of the opinion that it helps with clearing up infections and provides protection against allergies and cancer. This vitamin is also used in the metabolism of fats, proteins and carbohydrates.
- Supplementing with the vitamin B group normally proves to be very effective, and we have provided you with a short summary of the benefits of the B group vitamins. To read more about the B group vitamins please visit
- Vitalyze formula (available at www.anyvitamins.com) contains the following
- Thiamine mononitrate (Vitamin B1)
- Riboflavin (Vitamin B2)
- Pyridoxine hydrochloride (Vitamin B6)
- Cyanocobalamin (Vitamin B 12)
- Ascorbic Acid (Vitamin C)
- Chromium picolinate
- For more info view www.anyvitamins.com/vitalyze.htm
Why do some people achieve so much, accumulate so much
wealth, look so happy and successful, and yet other people never seem to get anywhere?
Lots of us say: "Yes, but successful people had a good start in life, had a good education, were in the right place at the right time" or "they were just lucky".
Then we look at movers and shakers that started at the bottom of the dung heap. Take
Bill Gates for example: Microsoft was virtually unheard of in the 1970's and Bill Gates was working out of his garage and home with a couple of pals - look at him now!
Take Nelson Mandela, who was a goat herder in Transkei, South Africa, who then rose to be the State President of the country and became one of the most world famous humanitarians.
What is it that motivated and drove these people to achieve
This question has bothered many, and researchers into the human condition have forwarded many theories as to the reasons behind
Tony Robbins, the great motivational speaker, has his own theory, which in essence come down to 2 principles that
motivate people - Pain and Pleasure.
Think about it, and let us take the application of make-up as an example. What is it that forces ladies, the world over, to sit in front of the mirror, getting up before the rest of the household, to "put on their face".
It must be for the pleasure of looking good, and receiving compliments. Or, on the other hand, it may be for the fear of the pain of receiving a negative reaction, if they don't do it!
Tony Robbins says that all human reaction has its base in fear of pain, feeling pain (emotional or physical), or pleasure.
Why do we procrastinate? Why do a lot of us put off doing something until the last moment? The answer is: fear of pain, the pain involved in doing the task. And what forces us to complete the task eventually? - Fear of the pain of what will happen if we don't do it!
For what reason do we start a relationship, or look for a partner? For the feelings of pleasure we receive from the relationship! The coziness, feeling of being loved, of sharing and commitment, that results from a relationship.
Why do relationships shipwreck then? Could it be because of the fear of the pain of rejection? We are starting to get a bit metaphysical now, but this thought brings me to another point: Tony Robbins also believes that our brain is like a thermometer that is set at a certain "temperature" or "level" of pain and pleasure that is acceptable to us.
To explain: Lets say I meet a fantastic person and decide to share my life with this person. Things go wonderfully for the first few months, but then I start to see faults in the person. Little things start to irritate me and I start getting snappy and start to find reasons to drive the relationship onto the rocks, as it were.
It may be caused by my "thermometer" deciding to "cool" down my ardor for my partner. This is my brain letting me know that the level of happiness I am experiencing is becoming unacceptably high. It's not "normal" for me to feel so happy, so I must try to sabotage the relationship to reach the acceptable level of existence, or normality that I usually experience.
Conversely, a huge number of successful people have had to
hit rock bottom before they realized their
For example: the reason for IBM's existence comes down to the fact that the company's original creator was fired from his job. He became so angry at the rejection, and his wife's nagging, that he forced himself to become a success.
The pleasure resulting from having good health, the respect of others, a happy relationship and enough money to achieve our goals and sustain a good living is what ultimately motivates us all. The problem is trying to get ourselves to think in a way that we can achieve and sustain this level of life, without letting our "thermometers" try to cool down our levels of success.
- Healing cream
- To assist in wound healing while soothing skin complaints – such as eczema and psoriasis, acne and piles and moisturizing and protecting the skin. This product has shown its effectiveness over a wide range of problems and judging from sales over more than a decade – it is the trusted healing cream to help with all mishaps, allergic reactions, irritated, burning, itchy and uncomfortable skin conditions.
- Face wash
- This face wash will properly clean your face and remove all impurities and environmental pollutants, without drying the skin. It contains eight herbal extracts to help promote a clear, vital and healthy complexion and a younger looking skin.
- Moisturizing day cream
- This day cream is formulated to help fight the signs of aging on various fronts. It helps to reduce free radical damage which, if left unchecked, leads to premature aging. The herbal extracts help to promote cell rejuvenation and regeneration and provide moisture and hydration to the skin.
- Nourishing night cream
- This nourishing night cream penetrates the skin extremely well and does not make the skin feel oily. It contains a host of herbal extracts to help in the fight against premature aging and has added vitamin E as well. Apart from the moisturizing effect and the anti-aging properties it also softens and smoothes the skin.
- Eye gel
- An effective refreshing eye gel to help reduce puffiness and dark rings around the eyes, while fighting wrinkles and lines. This is a very clever combination of herbal extracts and the base formula has its roots in a clinically proven formula.
- Mud face mask
- With this skin treatment product we combined a special selection of herbs in a base of thermal mud with oligoelements. This recommended weekly treatment will boost circulation to the skin, help to fight wrinkles and lines, improve firmness while at the same time improving suppleness and elasticity of the skin.
- After shave balm
- This effective balm helps to relieve an irritated skin caused by shaving. Not only is it a soothing balm, but the herbal extracts actively work to increase hydration and moisturize the skin to help fight the signs of premature aging – and all of this done in one simple no-fuss balm.
- Shampoo with rosemary extract + 7 other herbals
- Our shampoo is in a class of its own – and granted – it is far more expensive than cheap supermarket shampoos, but no other shampoo has the active ingredients we have in our shampoo. The rosemary will boost the health of the hair and scalp, while the other seven herbal extracts will help strengthen the hair and make it shine, increase the volume and make it manageable.
- Rosemary hair treatment conditioner
- We have found that this hair conditioner should really be used as a conditioning treatment. This then removes the need to condition the hair every time you wash – and can be used once a month. It is a superb hair tonic and helps in the control of sebum secretion of the scalp. Although not formulated for dandruff – the ingredients will assist with this as well, while supporting the health of the scalp.
- Hand and body lotion
- When formulating this hand and body lotion we created a rich nourishing, protecting and reviving lotion, which will not leave the skin oily or tacky, but will create a well moisturized, hydrated and supple skin. After applying this lotion it will quickly be absorbed by the skin, leaving it silky soft, smooth and well moisturized.
- Stretch mark gel
- Although nothing can remove already formed stretch marks (only surgery can do that) – thousands of satisfied clients confirm that this gel improves the appearance of old stretch marks. The gel will help in PREVENTING stretch marks (a 92% success rate) and is used with great success by expectant mothers and body builders who may form marks when bulking-up. The formula of this gel is based on clinical studies done in France, to which we added other herbal extracts.
- Cellulite gel
- Fighting cellulite is easy with this herbal cellulite gel. It contains a patented extract of Bayberry (Myriceline) and nine other plant extracts and essential oils. The gel will help to get rid of cellulite (which has been clinically proven) and will also help to prevent cellulite from forming. So now it is easy to get your soft body contours back again.
- Apple cider vinegar (liquid) with Centella asiatica
- The health benefits of apple cider vinegar are combined with the therapeutic properties of Centella asiatica. This old folk remedy is still used with great effect by thousands of people daily.
- Apricot kernel capsules
- Our capsules contain natural apricot kernels combined with Resveratrol, Selenium, Grape Seed Extract, MSM, Vitamin C and Bioperine and offers a safe and non-toxic of supplementing with apricot kernels.
- Digest capsules
- If your digestive system is under-par and you struggle with constipation or you simply need to boost the health of your digestive system then this capsule is for you. Fenugreek is a general digestive tonic and psyllium is a magical bulking agent that will help proper bowel movements, without using a laxative.
- Detox capsules
- Our modern day lifestyle exposes us to many unwanted additive and our diet also places stress on the body. To help the body get rid of toxins and waste materials naturally we combined fennel, basil, celery and parsley to help the body remove these toxins. It peps-up your metabolism and helps the bladder, kidneys and liver to do their work more effectively.
- Urinary and bladder health capsules
- Using an all natural approach, our capsules will help the discomfort and burning urine sensation of urinary tract infection and help clear up foul smelling urine. We combined cranberry, dandelion, uva ursi and vitamin C in a single capsule to effectively fight bladder infections and to stop the burning sensation when urinating.
- Tri- Mushroom blend capsules
- If you need an immune system boost then have a look at our combination of maitake, reishi and shiitake mushrooms. These mushrooms have showed to be a great help in boosting the immune system – and form a good nutritional supplement support for HIV/Aids patients and people receiving chemotherapy. Any person with even a slightly compromised immune system may benefit from this supplement.
- Hoodia slimming capsules
- Many companies offer hoodia capsules – but most of the time these supplements do not contain the real thing. We use CERTIFIED hoodia in our capsules and is combined with chromium to make it more effective to help lose weight. P57 is the active ingredient in hoodia and some people find it an effective appetite suppressant – without any side effects.
- Olive leaf extract capsules
- This natural detoxifier helps with a variety of ailments and people with chronic fatigue syndrome, infections, glandular fever (Epstein Barr), and even candida and herpes have found it of value. Olive leaf extract helps to fight bacteria, viruses, retroviruses, and protozoa and yeast strains. Apart from fighting all of these problems it also helps to improve kidney function and fights free radicals.
- Sexual supplement (previously known as Vuka Nkuzi)
- Men normally don’t admit when they have a declining libido although it is a most common problem. We combine in this supplement seven different natural ingredients to boost sexual health – without any side effects often experienced with such medication. After more than a decade, and thousands of regular Vuka Nkuzi clients we still offer this well priced supplement to boost the libido.
- Jojoba oil
- This liquid golden ester not only moisturizes and penetrates the skin but also helps to fight wrinkles and lines while promoting a clear and unblemished skin. Jojoba does not clog the pores but helps to restore skin elasticity and smoothness. It will leave the skin supple and velvety soft without any oiliness and can be used neat on the skin.
- Lavender oil
- This is the most popular essential oil and with good reason. Lavender oil is a superb product to use on burns, insect bites, sunburn, wounds and other skin complaints and irritations. Lavender oil is one of the few essential oils that can be used neat (not diluted) on the skin, and is great to help with regeneration and rejuvenation of skin cells. Emotionally it has a calming and soothing effect and is an exceptionally pleasant smelling oil.
- Tea tree oil
- Once used, you will always have a bottle of tea tree essential oil handy. It deals effectively with bacteria, fungi and viruses. Our oil surpasses the “Australian Standard” by having less than 15% 1,8 cineole and more than 30% of Terpinen-4-ol. This powerful essential oil is effective in various ways to fight infections and skin problems.
- Almond oil
- This light and deeply moisturizing oil has a softening effect on the skin and can be used on the face and body. Almond oil has excellent emollient properties and helps to balance water and moisture loss in the skin. It can be used neat on the skin and also makes an excellent massage base.